Monday, August 29, 2011

Paperwork or people work, which is more important?

Paperwork or people work, which is more important?

After my many years in the workforce as a senior manager, I have come to the conclusion that most managers, executives and leaders tend toward being task oriented and companies seem to like that.

Why, because we have a tendency to evaluate people by their accomplishments. In addition, task oriented people are the ones who usually get put in charge. In my opinion, they seem to rise to the top of organizations by the sheer volume of paperwork they are able to shove out their office door or the tasks they are able to accomplish.

Although I certainly understand the necessity to get the job done, I am a firm believer that the success of any manager is directly related to how much emphasis they place on their people.

I know from personal experience, one hundred percent of my success has always been due to my team and the emphasis I have put on getting to know them and show them how much I care.

People will never care how much you know until they know how much you care.

I believe that leadership is basically a people business. Experts have confirmed that the most effective leaders spend most of their time being with people and solving people problems.

As a leader, I challenge you to start putting people work before paperwork. You will be amazed at how it will have a positive impact on you, your company and its people.

The next time someone stops by your office; don’t see it as an interruption but as an opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment